Jan 16, 2017

The New York Dream



When your dog needs to be in every single photo lol


If you follow me on instagram then you've probably heard me banging on about New York all week, if so, then I apologise.

I have just done so much work that I'm proud of this week that I wanted to document it on here as this is my favourite way to look back on stuff.

At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to work harder on my art than ever before. When I was going through chemo I painted whenever I could, which was quite a lot apart from the days when I was really sick. I sold a lot of work. I actually surprised myself with how successful my little business was becoming and I thought to myself, if I can do that when I've got frickin' cancer and going through chemo and radiation etc. imagine what I can do now I'm cancer free and finished all the horrible treatment? So as soon as I started to feel better which was just around the beginning of January I thought, right that's it. But I didn't want to just paint for the sake of it and I wanted the pieces to mean something and I wanted them to be a higher standard of work.

I thought the only way to do that was to start painting or drawing, every single day, even if it's only for half an hour.

I thought about what I enjoyed painting the most and what my favourite paintings I've ever done were and my favourite ones I've done in the past are always the New York ones.

'New York dreamer' was the first New York painting I did, which sold at my exhibition almost two years ago. Since then it's gone on to sell around 50 prints.




I then painted 'Fearless' another very personal painting, set in New York. Which sold to a lovely lady and then quite a few prints. There's still a few limited edition prints of this one left if you're interested click here


So I bought a nice new sketchbook and I have honestly had the best time just sketching and drawing and doing little watercolours for the fun of it. I love to go on pinterest and just look through the New York boards, photography, interior design, fashion photography and sketch the things I like. It feels so good to have this 'no pressure' attitude and have a place where my art doesn't have to be perfect, no-one even has to see it if I don't want them to.

As a result of this I have a bunch of cute sketched that I really love. I kind of like the messy drawings because I know how happy I was doing them.

Anyway...The first sketch I did was from pinterest. It was a picture of Holly Golightly's NYC apartment from Breakfast at Tiffanys. I don't usually draw buildings or anything that has to have straight lines because generally I'm very much a 'throw paint at the canvas in massive sweeping motions'  kind of artist, or abstract nude women. But the few times I have done them, I've surprised myself. So I loved my little sketch I did and decided to put it on my posh new canvas. I say posh because you should see the quality of this thing. It's so heavy and thick and just amazing. I love it when the canvas is really big and bulky, I don't know why but it makes me feel like a proper artist.

I've been having a bit of a love ffair with oil paints lately too. Generally I've used acrylics for the past 15 years because oils were too messy. It never occurred to me you could just BUY the right stuff to thin the paint and clean your brushes until a few months ago. Which is exactly what I did and now I just want to paint the whole world in oil paints they're so damn good!!






So let me explain the whole New York thing...
Like most people I want to go to New York. From growing up watching Friends and Sex and the City. Sex and the City has brought me years of happiness, every breakup I've had, every single girl problem, every man problem and girly fun has been healed or inspired by SATC. I have embarrassingly mentioned this before but I wanted to become a writer like Carrie, a freelance writer, writing about love and fashion and I guess I'm kind of doing it, just in Australia on a much poorer scale and it's not for Vogue, it's for this little blog. BUT I have published 2 books and when I type I do hear Carries voice in my head on those poignant one liners at the end of the page!

And I always had this romantic idea of me in New York, waltzing around, writing my blog posts or chapters for my book at cafe's whilst drinking hot chocolate, with a messy bun and amazing clothes and this fantasy always involved an incredible apartment with a view overlooking the city....

So yeah, I'm a bit of a geek and spend a lot of time imagining these whimsical ideas but hey, it's fun and I guess what I'm trying to say is that is what this painting is all about.

A New York girl strolling past Holly Golightlys famous apartment, with me pushing the boundaries of my skills, being ever so slightly more of a realist and really concentrating on the lighting and shadows.

If any of you are still here, after the longest painting explanation in the world and are interested in seeing the finished piece or perhaps buying it, so that one day I may be able to actually go to New York, she's live on the website now :) www.hayleywalkerart.com






Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© HAYLEY SARAH | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig