Dec 27, 2016

Radiation Burns and scars - (don't look if you are squeamish)



 I wasn't sure whether to post this as it's pretty personal but I've been open about everything else and these pictures may look severe, they may look ugly but unfortunately right now they're my reality.

The other reason is that I know a lot of women who are going to be starting radiation soon and this may be helpful or at least give them a glimpse of what is to come.

I have met a lot of people on this 'journey' who are survivors themselves and a lot of them have told me that radiation is a walk in the park compared to chemo. You'll breeze through it, they say.

Which technically is true. But I mean anything is a walk in the park compared to chemo. Giving birth to triplets with no pain relief would probably be a walk in the park compared to chemo. Chemo is basically a living hell and if you can get through that you could do anything. But radiation is not a walk in the park.

Radiation, like chemo is cumulative and when you've had 25 rounds of radiation you feel like sleeping, a lot. It's hard to get through the day without wanting to cry with exhaustion. I haven't felt like that the whole time, the next week or two will be the shittest for me, until I get some of it out of my system. 

Then there's the burns. Until a few days ago I only had minor burns. I just felt sunburnt but holy hell, they have increased so much and will continue to increase over the next week. The parting words from the nurses were 'your skin will get much worse over the next few weeks and you have a very high amount of radiation in your system, so do give us a call if you need anything' (ummm a valium for the panic attack you have just induced lol?!)

Despite moisturising the area 3 times a day, the skin has started to split and bleed. It looks hideous and it hurts like hell.

So to my lovely friends that are gearing up for radiation, I'm here to tell you, yes it's a frickin breeze after what you've been through already but it's not exactly fun and games either. Stock up on the sorbolene (paraben free of course)

Here's a few pictures because hey, there's not much you guys haven't seen now.

Cancer, the gift that keeps on giving.....

In one way it's good because to be honest, after the chemo and then the radiation literally burning through my throat to stomach, I don't think any remaining cancer cells would stand a chance of surviving.

So my skin may be burnt and I may be in one hell of a bad mood but I'm always mindful and despite my bitching and moaning about how horrible it all is, I know that I am lucky. 

I just pray to God that one day we have a better solution for cancer and some less aggressive treatment options Xx






 


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© HAYLEY SARAH | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig