Nov 4, 2015

Create a life that feels good on the inside - Opinion post #socialmediaisnotreallife #essenaoneill


This post was prompted by this weeks Social Media news of the Australian girl Essana O'Neill - She had half a million followers when she deleted many of her pictures and edited the captions on her pictures to a 'real life edit.' 




But basically she's a teenage girl from the age of 15 up to 18 that was addicted to social media, taking hundreds of posed photos specifically to look hot on Instagram, and basing her worth as a human on the amount of likes and followers she had.

The edited captions really brought it home, how BAD this habit is - to how she didn't eat so she'd look good in the picture, she shouted at her sister to keep taking more photos....

I don't know, it just really struck a chord with me.

Why the hell do we do people do this to themselves, why do we care so much what other people think, people we don't even know!

I love Instagram, I really do. I spend a lot of time on it, and hardly no time on other social media. I tell myself I love to look at art (it's an amazing place to find art and cool artists) and fashion and everything else I'm into. But I have found myself doing ridiculous things for the perfect instagram pic. That's the photographer in me I tell myself. But more and more I've found it's for getting followers, taking photos that I know are popular on instagram, you know the ones, flatlays of make-up etc.

I've decided I'm not doing it anymore. I'm taking photos that mean something to me, that are relevant to blog posts I care about writing, that might benefit someone in some way.

I want to be successful  but I also want to be real and true to myself. I'll take the odd selfie but I'm committing to putting my time, energy and passion into my work. My art, my writing, my photography. That should be enough. If it's not, then fuck it.

I have so much respect for Essano O'Neill - it's been a real eye opener and a wake up call for quite a lot of people. She said she is so much happier and so much 'free-er' now that social media isn't ruling her life. 

I am not saying that social media is bad - I'm saying use it wisely, be true to yourself, live a life that feels good on the inside and not just looks good on the outside.

Here are some of my favourite real photos - ones that weren't over-posed or specifically taken for social media. Photos that make me happy because of the memory, not how I look.











Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© HAYLEY SARAH | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig