Oct 13, 2015

Monthly Book Reviews







This is going to be a thing now. Every month I'm going to to a 'Monthly book review' feature. Because I always read at least a couple of books a month. I have mentioned before though, I kind of suck at writing book reviews. Hopefully this little feature will make me a bit better at it though!

Here goes:

This month I have read.

'I'll give you the Sun' by Jandy Nelson.

Blurb - Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

I really enjoyed this book and read it quite quickly. It's classed as a Young Adult genre so I found it an easy read. Being an artsy kinda girl, I identified with all these characters a lot, in different ways. The story was quite intricate and it flowed really nicely.


This story has an amazing insight into how powerful love can be. The passion, the all encompassing emotions it makes you feel and how special it is. 

Rating

3.5 / 5

I also read 'The Memory Keepers Daughter' by Kim Edwards.

I actually started this ages ago but found it very hard to get into. I persisted with it because my Mum kept telling me how brilliant it was and I found the story line itself so good, I really wanted to enjoy it. 

Blurb: On a winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced by a blizzard to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy. Yet when his daughter is born, he sees immediately that she has Down's Syndrome. Rationalizing it as a need to protect Norah, his wife, he makes a split-second decision that will alter all of their lives forever. He asks his nurse to take the baby away to an institution and never to reveal the secret. But Caroline, the nurse, cannot leave the infant. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child herself. So begins this story that unfolds over a quarter of a century - in which these two families, ignorant of each other, are yet bound by the fateful decision made that long-ago winter night. Norah Henry, who knows only that her daughter died at birth, remains inconsolable; her grief weighs heavily on their marriage. And Paul, their son, raises himself as best he can, in a house grown cold with mourning. Meanwhile, Phoebe, the lost daughter, grows from a sunny child to a vibrant young woman whose mother loves her as fiercely as if she were her own.

There was a period in the middle where I got back into the book but I found the writer went on for too long (the time period it was based over) I was so desperate for things to play out dramatically but the story just seemed to get longer and more unnecessary by the minute. So much so that I didn't even care in the end what happened. So much so that I still have ten pages left that I keep meaning to read and I just don't want to.

I think it's such a brilliant story line, it could have been so good but I was left feeling bored and disappointed numerous times throughout.

Rating 2/5


Share:

1 comment

  1. I wanted to read I'll Give You The Sun but wasn't sure if it would be a good read or not. Thanks for your review!
    The Rad Wife

    ReplyDelete

© HAYLEY SARAH | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig